Most of us are now aware of the ability to use Class Q permitted development rights to change the use of an agricultural building to a residential dwelling, without the need to apply for full planning permission. What is less obvious is the subtle difference between Class Qa and Class Qb applications.

Class Qa allows for planning permission to be obtained for change of use to residential only, as opposed to Class Qb which isĀ the change of use together with reasonably necessary building operations. Class Qa may save applicants time and money by checking whether the proposal is acceptable in principle, before applying for a full application. This difference has not been made clear by local authorities and may result between a planning application being successful or refused.

The WebbPaton team are on hand to help with any Class Q applications and a wider range of planning matters in general. To talk to one of the team please ring 01793 842055 or email