The 2016 round of Farm Business Updates will be presented by WebbPaton on:


Monday 25th January from 6.30pm at Chippenham Golf Club

Wednesday 27th January from 6.30pm at North Wilts Golf Club near Devizes

Thursday 28th January from 10.30am at North Wilts Golf Club near Devizes

Monday 1st February at Wrag Barn Golf Club in Highworth (northwest of Swindon)

Tuesday 2nd February at Wrag Barn Golf Club

Thursday 4th February at The Wiltshire Hotel & Golf Club near Royal Wootton Bassett

A range of relevant and important topics will be covered in a fast-moving entertaining way, all followed by a hot complimentary meal.  WebbPaton agents and FarmXS people will be present to answer any questions you may have.


Ring the office to book your place on 01793 842055.  We look forward to seeing you there!



The RPA has announced that almost 51% of claimants should have now received their BPS 2015 payment.  However, there have been errors in some of the payment amounts (particularly where RLE1 forms were submitted to transfer entitlements and/or amend maps), so please check the amount carefully and contact us if you have any questions.  The RPA is intending to start posting out 2015 BPS Claim Statements to farmers from mid-January, so please send it to us to check.  If we dealt with your 2015 BPS claim, this is all part of the service we offer! 

The claims process is changing again and going online for 2016, so if we have not previously completed your BPS claim but you would like assistance this year, please contact us to register your interest.



1. SMR 7 – Cattle identification and registration

Cattle keepers must still record (in their holding register) the dam’s ear tag number for animals born on their holding. However, they no longer need to record the dam’s ear tag number for animals arriving on their holding. This changed on 6 April 2015 and is now updated in the latest guidance

2. GAEC 7c – Trees

RPA has clarified that not only fruit or nut trees in orchards, but also other trees acting as windbreaks in an orchard, vineyard, hop yard or hop garden are exempt from the 1 March to the 31 August (inclusive) cutting and trimming rules. This applies from 1 January 2016.

3. GAEC 1 – Establishment of buffer strips along watercourses

From 1 January 2017, land parcels of 2 hectares or less next to watercourses will have to comply with the need to protect watercourses against pollution and run-off from agricultural sources, by maintaining buffer strips. Therefore, for all land:

  • within 2 metres of the centre of a watercourse or field ditch
  • from the edge of the watercourse or field ditch to 1 metre on the landward side of the top of the bank

both of the following apply:

  • you must take all reasonable steps to maintain a green cover
  • you must not cultivate or apply fertilisers or pesticides.

[This change doesn’t apply to GAEC 7a – Boundaries.]

Please contact us if you need assistance with any aspect of Cross Compliance.


WebbPaton are still busy helping landowners to submit the CA16 application forms and maps to protect their land from future rights of way or village green claims.  The deposit protects the land for 20 years and it is important to have it lodged with the Council whether or not you have existing rights of way – it protects you against new claims. Most Councils charge in the region of £280 for the first parcel of land and £68.25 for each additional parcel separated by public highway. It is worth noting that Swindon Council does not currently charge for CA16 applications, but they may add a charge in the near future, so act fast and get your CA16 application submitted if you own land within the Swindon Borough!



People born before 31st December 1964 are no longer exempt from holding a certificate of competence for using an agricultural pesticide product.  It is a legal requirement to follow the rules outlined in ‘The Plant Protection Products (Sustainable Use) Regulations 2012’.  If you do not adhere to the rules, you will also risk prosecution and a reduction in your BPS and certain Pillar II payments.  If you do not hold a certificate of competence or specified certificate, but require the application of professional pesticides to your land, you may employ a contractor or neighbouring farmer.  It would be your responsibility to check that they hold an appropriate specified certificate.



Archives by Month:

Archives by Subject:

Archives by Year:

  • 2020
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014
  • 2013
  • 2012
  • 2011